Cyclical Rituals: Aligning Your Intentions With The Moon Phases
The Power of Setting Intentions
Winter season, especially around the holidays, is a period when many of us intentionally set aside time to review the previous year and reflect on what we would like to achieve in the near future.
This ritual is extremely important and can be a beautiful experience, as it allows us to truly appreciate what we have achieved so far (so often we tend to forget our small victories and achievements), reflect on our dreams and set intentions for the year to come.
However, as exciting as it can be to set a goal for yourself, it can also feel overwhelming to do this at a time when our attention is divided between family obligations, celebrations and other commitments. We all have heard how common is the struggle to keep the New Year’s resolutions, and the various reasons why this is the case. Perhaps you no longer feel like it is worth to set intentions and resolutions, for the fear that you won’t stick to them.
As with many things in life, it may be scary to tackle large tasks in one go, but once you break them down into smaller steps they become more manageable and enjoyable.
Cycles of Nature
Rather than bringing out a notebook once a year, we recommend that you incorporate the practice of self-reflection and intention setting as part of your everyday life and make it a ritual that you cherish and connect with. Devote this time to celebrating your dreams and achievements, and to feel the power of your inner strength.
Following the moon phases is a beautiful way to align yourself with the cycles of nature and help you become more in tune with nature and your surroundings. New moon is an especially powerful time to spark new beginnings. In farming traditions, the new moon is the time when the soil is most fertile and wet, this is the time when we should plant seeds, be it in your garden or your life. The new moon is an invitation to start fresh, to set intentions and to set the tone for the next cycle.
New Moon Ritual
Your new moon ritual can be anything between an elaborate 3-hour practice to a simple 5-minute journaling, choose a ritual that speaks to you and fits your lifestyle.
How do you make the most of this ritual?
- Commit to performing the ritual once a month, set aside time and place when you will be undisturbed. If you wish, align the time of the ritual with the moon phases.
- Find a beautiful space for your ritual, this may simply mean lighting a candle in your room or taking a walk in the woods, nearby park or beach.
- Fully dedicate this time to yourself, treat yourself with kindness and love. Express gratitude to yourself, your body, your mind and your heart. Be open and honest about what you want.
- Start the ritual with a brief meditation or breathing exercise. If you have time, you can also practice yoga before the ritual.
- Use a paper and pen to write down your intentions and goals for the next cycle. Do not judge yourself, allow yourself to feel your feelings and honour your wishes.
- You can write down 5-10 intentions, however there are no set rules as to how many intentions you can set for a cycle. Do whatever feels right. If there are any intentions that have not been fulfilled from the previous cycle, keep those on the list and reflect on them during the ritual.
- Meditate on each of your intentions. Go through the list and feel your body, how it responds to the particular intention. How will you feel when your intentions are manifested into reality?
- Close the ritual by saying a prayer or gratitude. Keep the list safe until next month. Throughout the month, you may choose to dedicate your yoga or meditation practices to your intentions.
Enjoy the process, be patient, kind and generous towards yourself. This is as much a ritual of self-love as it is a ritual of intention setting. Immerse yourself in the magic power of the moon and practice regularly.